'Gunmen' subdued in Clarke Quay drill
Skip to main content Published8 min ago
Anti-terror exercise involving 140 held to test response of police, people in the area
Two gunmen "opened fire" in a Clarke Quay nightclub yesterday afternoon but they were swiftly taken down by police officers.
Thankfully, it was not for real. The exercise was a counter-terrorism simulation organised by the Singapore Police Force and the Ministry of Manpower (MOM).
In an earlier segment, the police took down a knife-wielding attacker who had run thr ough a covered walkway, stabbing bystanders.
In a statement released yesterday, the organisers said Exercise Heartbeat was carried out to test the response of the police, businesses and workers in the area.
In its ninth year, it was the first time that the annual exercise was conducted in Clarke Quay, a popular nightclub area that draws about a million visitors each month.
About 140 people took part in the exercise yesterday.
This year's scenario was modelled after the attack on Borough Market in London that left eight people dead and 48 injured in June.
Last year, one of the venues for the exercise was Esplanade - Theatres on the Bay in September, almost a year after a terrorist attack in Paris killed 89 people during a sold-out rock concert.
For this year's exercise, MOM worked with CapitaLand Mall Asia, w hich manages the Clarke Quay area, to build up businesses' reactions towards terrorism as part of its SGSecure at Workplaces programme.
It has been encouraging employees to download the SGSecure app, training them on evacuation routes and keeping a list of the businesses' safety representatives.
Second Minister for Manpower and Home Affairs Josephine Teo said the response of building management and tenants will make a critical difference when a terrorist attack occurs at the workplace.
"If they know how to respond swiftly, they can save lives, minimise disruption and we are more likely to recover quickly," she said.
Companies can find out more about SGSecure at www.sg secure.sg and www.mom.gov.sg/sgsecure.A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on November 11, 2017, with the headline ''Gunmen' subdued in Clarke Quay drill'. Print Edition | Subscribe Topics:
- P OLICE
- MINISTRY OF MANPOWER
lunch_300x200.jpgFive award-winning restaurants for business lunch
posb2_300x200.jpgExpecting mums: 5 ways to show yourself some love
We have been experiencing some problems with subscriber log-ins and apologise for the inconvenience caused. Until we resolve the issues, subscribers need not log in to access ST Digital a rticles. But a log-in is still required for our PDFs.Source: Google News